Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Bread and Breadsticks (Makin' Pizza Dough)


Bread, staff of life, mortal enemy of carbophobes, kind of boring out of a bag but transcendental when hot out of an oven. Today we made two doughs that had to slow rise in the fridge overnight (bread stick dough and pizza dough) and two that required a rise a and a proof before hitting up the ovens by the end of class (semolina bread and soft rolls)

I paid close attention while Chef G reviewed the recipes, particularly the pizza dough. The book called for bread flour, but Chef called up for Italian 00 flour, the most authentic and high quality flour to make pizza with. Unfortunately, despite listening, I misheard 3 lbs of flour to 3lbs plus 4 to 8 ounces as 3lbs to 4lbs and 8oz. In the dough recipe I use, after you got the yeast, water, oil, salt mixed and adding the flour, you get it so the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl. As I'm adding my flour, Chef stops me and says it's too dry and not tacky enough, even though it's wetter than how I get it at home. She says it should be ok, I'll have a little bit more dough than the others. She measured what flour I had left, and I went over by about 6 oz. Into a greased bag and into the fridge for tomorrow.

I also made the semolina dough, which again is not hell of a lot different, just a different set of ratios, mixing AP flour with semolina. Into a greased bowl, into the proofing box, which is heated to the 80s with steam heat.

When taken out of the proofing box, it's rolled into a few strands, breaded, then put into the box to proof a final time. Dirty Kim and Long Island Lolita made a couple of batches of 'soft roll' dough, basically a mild white bread. Most of it is rolled into small balls, some brushed with poppy or sesame, some of it is rolled out and cut into squares and folded around sauteed onions.

Out of the oven, everything tasted pretty good, though the white bread stuff was kinda dull. Tomorrow, pizza and focaccia. Today I took home a quart of 00 flour for some home work, and tomorrow, I'll be bringing in some of my own dough and sauce from the freezer to cook up for Chef, to get her professional opinion. I hope she's brutal!

ADDENDA:
Scale told me 225 this morning. I told it to shut uuuuup.

BREAKFAST: 6:30am, smoothie, 1 bowl, hunger 3/5
So fresh n' delicious.

AM TASTINGS: 10-11am, french bread with a little chocolate, couple of onion pockets,couple of small rolls, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5

LUNCH 1: 12:15am, pasta with pistachio/lemon cream sauce, water, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5
Not tempted to eat the bread at the restaurant at all.

LUNCH 2: 4pm, seitan, hijiki, quinoa, tahini dressing, water, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5
Post yoga snicklesnack.

PM SNACK: 6:45pm, watermelon, 1.5 bowl, hunger 4/5
Pre-swim snacklesnick.

DINNER: 8pm, large green salad with Italian dressing, 3 sausage brioche roll thingies, 1.5 bowl, hunger 4/5

EVENING SNACK: 8:30pm, 3 chocolate croissants, .75 bowl, hunger 4/5 Still hungry after dinner. Just too healthy all day!!

No comments: