Sunday, June 15, 2008

Weekend Report (North Forkin')


The weekend flew by like a blur, no time (or computer!) to record my every bite. B and I went to Shelter Island to get away from the NYC madness and quietly celebrate her birthday together. Breakfasts consisted of our Inn's continental spread -- I haven't eaten Kellogg's cereal in a long time, and my hippie all-whole grain all-organic versions actually do taste better.

Riding my road bike each morning made me hungry. We hit up a really pretentious, douchey restaurant on the water Saturday afternoon that made me glad I'm not wealthy -- too much money seems to go hand in hand with a lack of imagination in many things, including dining. Too much ice cream indulgence in the afternoon.

Easily, the highlight of the weekend, gastronomically and otherwise, was visiting B's friends in the North Fork, who happened to be staying at a family friend's home with 3 other un-ugly and single female friends (pictured here with B, blurred because I'm a crap photogr....they're anonymous!). This clutch of ladies spent the day collecting local ingredients, and made a mighty meal honoring B's birthday. First course were bubbly cocktails with bits of rhubarb and mint, and goat ricotta and rhubarb compote crostini (pictured above). The main course was a broiled blackfish fillet with walnut pesto, fresh micro green salad with cute little pea shoots and haricot verts. Dinner was topped off with this really decadent (and homemade) chocolate pie involving a caramel layer and fleur de del sprinkled on top. Spending the night with five purty ladies in a real-life raunchy version of Sex & the City didn't hurt, either.

No comments: