Monday, May 26, 2008

Weekend Report (Fasted Food)

Early Monday morning, the scale reads 224. I'm a bit amazed by this, as I don't look much different, but I do feel a little bit stronger on the bike.

The laxative tea of Friday night was pretty gentle on my system. I was too tired from a day of yoga and volunteer orientations to let hunger keep me up. During the day Saturday, stayed in and did chores and homework. My mother in law came over and I prepped a bowl of onion soup for her, fried some whole wheat bread in butter with a little salt and chopped it in triangles and garnished the soup with it, after wiping the sides of the bowl (I didn't have any cheese on hand.)

The main thing I noticed from the fast, other than hunger, is a slightly starchy coating in my mouth that tastes kind of.....good. Mildly sweet, vaguely fermented like the smell of freshly risen dough.

SATURDAY
UNBREAKFAST: 7:30pm, pint of 'lemonade', hunger 4/5
The pinch of cayenne gives it a little kick, and the maple syrup gives a nice woody overtone to the sweetness. Sipped it over 3 hours.

BREAK-FAST: 2pm, bowl of onion soup with 2 pieces wholewheat bread fried in butter, saltless saltines with good peanutbutter, 1.5 bowls, hunger 5/5
As B was napping, I was prepping some infused garlic olive oil for dinner when a drop got on my tongue. That just made me snap, and out out came the school-made onion soup, which was fantastic. Felt ferociously hungry after the soup, popped in about 6 crackers smeared with a bit of peanut butter. Still really hungry, but holding myself back from gorging, lest I bear the fury of a Nutritionist Scorned. Ilsa specifically told me to take it easy coming off this fast.

LUNCH: 3pm, 1.5 homemade pizzas, 1.5 bowl, hunger 4/5
Had two lumps of dough in the freezer, one I made with newly infused garlic olive oil, the other made with roasted tomato couli from school. Not quite as good as the wholefoods dough, but good.

DINNER: 7pm, pint of pork fried rice, shrimp egg roll, 2/3 of a pint of Ben & Jerry's Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ice cream, quart of water, 2 bowls, hunger 4/5
Woke up from a 2 hour nap, feeling out of sorts and craving comfort food.

SUNDAY
BREAKFAST: 6:15am, good yogurt with nuts, honey, vanilla, .5 bowl, hunger 3/5

AM SNACK: 8am, half a freshly baked homemade lemon muffin, hunger 4/5

AM SNACK:
11am, bagel with PB&J, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5
Free food on the Tour de Brooklyn was scant, but for an 18 mile ride, how much food do you really need?

PM DRINKING: 1pm, 2.5 pints of beer, hunger 4/5
After ride drinks with a few friends at Gowanus Yacht Club, nice outdoor patio. Haven't drunk this much in a long time, got somewhere between buzzed and drunk on a sunny holiday afternoon.

LUNCH: 3pm, philly cheese steak, 2 bowls, hunger 4/5
Came with a large side of fries that I pawned off on others. A while ago Ilsa made me cut out fries -- if I'm going to down a cheese steak after being told to take it easy after a 1 day fast, this was the least I could do!

PM SNACK: 4pm, cherry ice, .5 bowl, hunger 4/5

DINNER: 8pm, 4 homemade lemon muffins with good butter, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5
My lemon muffins are mighty fine. There, I said it.

MONDAY
BREAKFAST: 6:15am, organic chex with good milk, .5 bowl, hunger 3/5

AM SNACK:
7:30am, apple, .25 bowl, hunger 4/5

AM SNACK: 9:30am, 2 donuts, .5 bowl, hunger 4/5
Fresh donuts from a farm stand in the dark heart of New Jersey while cycling. This place has a lot of fresh produce and other baked goods, but with the sun shining down on it so beautifully, it beckoned like a Donut Camelot.

AM SNACK: 10:30am, seaweed salad, seseame noodles, 1 small piece of toblerone, water, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5
Bigger snack at the halfway point of the ride in Nyack. Food wasn't very good, way too salty, did not finish it.

PM SNACK: 1pm, 20oz of gatorade
Near the GWB, stopped by gas station to down this drink, definitely helped me keep my energy up.

LUNCH: 2:30pm, shrimp in garlic sauce with black beans and yellow rice, quart of water, 3 bowls, hunger 4/5
Ordered in.

DINNER: 8pm, asparagus, hummus and cucumber, half a cuban with kimchi and queso fresca, a few bites of rice ball and panzanela salad, water, 1 bowl, hunger 2/5
Dinner out in the 'hood with B, really nice to get her sick butt out of the house a little.

No comments: